To sign up for our daily email newsletter, CLICK HERE
Web scanning is done using a simple method to extract data from the website that is creating it, but many websites have implemented anti-scraping measures for automated access. A common way to bypass these steps is to use a web scraping proxy – or even create your own at home.
In this article, we will explore the benefits of using a scrape proxy for web scraping and introduce GoLogin browser as the next level of safety compared to proxies.
Proxies for Web Scraping
A web scraping proxy server acts as a mediator between a website and a web scraper. Whenever a web scraper requests information from a website, the request is first sent to the proxy server.
The proxy server then relays the request to the website on behalf of the web scraper. The website responds to the proxy server, which then sends the response back to the web scraper.
There are several reasons why using a proxy can be beneficial for web scraping;
When a web scraper uses a proxy, their IP address is masked, and the website they are scraping cannot detect their real IP address. This can help to avoid IP blocking and maintain anonymity while scraping.
Using a proxy can limit web scraping performance by reducing the load on the web scraper’s machine. When a web crawler sends a request through a proxy. When a website sends a request, it first sends the request to a proxy server. Proxy servers can then optimize requests, for example by compressing images to reduce the amount of data sent over the network. This can lead to faster web scraping.
3. Geographical Location
It may be possible to make web scraping requests appear to come from a specific geographic location. It is not possible to extract location-based data such as local industry production.
Choosing the right scrap proxy
There are several factors to consider when choosing a proxy for web scripting:
- Service Quality: Proxying provides reliable and fast service with minimal downtime.
- IP rotation: IP addresses should be rotated regularly to avoid proxy detection.
- Geographic coverage: Proxy needs to have servers in locations of your choice.
- Price: The proxy should offer good value for money.
More final types of proxies needed for web scraping:
- Residential Proxy: A residential proxy IP address that actually maps to residential locations. They are considered more legitimate and less likely to be detected by anti-scraping measures.
- Data Center Proxy: Data Center Proxy are IP addresses that are data center proxies. These are cheaper and faster than resident proxies, but are more likely to be detected by anti-scraping measures.
- Rotating Proxies: Rotating proxies are proxies of regularly rotating IP addresses to avoid detection and IP blocking.
- Dedicated proxies: Dedicated proxies are proxies that are allocated to a single user, offering greater control and security. While they are more costly than shared proxies, they offer enhanced features.
Next level security
Although using a proxy for web scraping can provide certain advantages, it is not foolproof. Some websites, especially those with advanced anti-scraping measures like browser fingerprinting, can still detect and block proxies. Moreover, utilizing a proxy does not guarantee complete security or anonymity, as some proxies may log user data or be compromised.
To enhance safety compared to proxies, utilizing a browser API such as GoLogin may be considered. GoLogin provides a browser environment that can simulate a real user’s behavior and comes with a wide selection of built-in proxies. Users can create and manage multiple browser profiles, thereby avoiding even the most sophisticated tracking techniques.
In conclusion, while utilizing a proxy for web scraping can offer certain benefits, an increasing number of web platforms are adopting browser fingerprinting as an anti-bot technique. Consequently, tools such as secure browsers should be taken into account as a potential solution for all web scrapers in the future.