To sign up for our daily email newsletter, CLICK HERE
Most laptops come with pre-installed Windows that is already activated. This saves you from the trouble of activating the operating system on your own. However, if you update your computer or built your PC with a processor and graphics card, you might have to activate Windows 10 on your device.
Now the question is how to activate Windows 10. There are two ways you can go about it. You can either use a Windows 10 activation key or a digital license. We have explained the steps of both methods in the below post. Follow these instructions and you should be good to go.
Also check out windows 10 product key reddit for reliable and cheaper alternatives.
Activate Windows 10 With A Product Key
This is the most common way of activating the Windows 10 operating system. The product key or the activation code is provided to you at the time of purchase. You should be able to find it in the box of product. In case, your box is missing the activation key, you can purchase it directly from Microsoft.
Once you get your product key, follow these steps:
- The first thing you need to do is enter your activation key.
- Hit the “Windows” key on the keyboard and access the “Settings” section.
- Now go to “Update and Security” and then to “Activation.”
- Select the option “Change Product Key.”
- Type in the activation key in the given box. Make sure to enter the key correctly, otherwise, it will not work.
- After that hit “Next.”
- Press “Activate.”
That’s all you need to do to activate Windows 10 on your PC. The steps are simple and easy to follow. However, if you don’t feel confident about the steps, you can get it done by an expert.
Activate Windows 10 With A Digital License
You can also activate Windows 10 operating system with a digital license. This method should be followed if you don’t have a product key.
Here’s what you need to do:
- First, choose the option that says “I don’t have a product key.”
- Now login to Windows 10 which is linked to your Microsoft account. This should automatically activate Windows 10. However, if you have made hardware changes, continue following the steps below.
- Hit the Windows key on the keyboard.
- Go to “Settings.”
- Select the option “Update and Security.”
- Choose “Activation.”
- If Windows 10 is not activated, press the option “Troubleshoot.”
- Click “Activate Windows” and then “Activate.” Or choose the option “I changed hardware on this device recently.”
- You will be shown a few sign-in prompts on the screen. Follow the prompts using your Microsoft account that is linked to your digital license.
- Choose the device you are using and check the option “This is the device I’m using right now.”
- After you are done with the above steps, click the “Activate” button.
- This will activate your copy of Windows 10.
This process is a bit lengthy, but if you follow all the steps correctly, it should be done within no time.
Where to get the Windows 10 product key?
The product key is a unique code consisting of 25 characters. It should be printed on the product box. If it’s not there, you should contact Microsoft and purchase it from them. It costs around $150 at the moment.
Activating Windows 10 gives you access to all its features, including customization options. If you are not activating Windows 10 now, you should do it later. Otherwise, the OS will keep prompting you to do so. To make the most of your Windows PC, it is essential to activate the operating system. Follow any of these methods and it should be done.