To sign up for our daily email newsletter, CLICK HERE
Device drivers are an essential part for a computer to run. They help and increase the performance of your device but they need to be updated in order for them to give you up-to the mark performance. Of course, you can choose the settings for them on your computer; they can be set to automatically update – when one is required – or you can also set the automatic update off and you will do all the updates manually if you opt for the second option.
What is a device driver?
A device driver is actually a kind of software – which is a driving force – for your device and all your hardware devices attached to your computer can function with the help of these drivers. There are different types of drivers available and you can choose what suits you best. Some drivers are automatically installed on your device and some, you can install them manually.
How drivers actually work?
When you plug something in your device like speakers, printer or keyboard. Here, the computer needs to know how to actually communicate with these devices. All these hardware devices comes with a software called the driver for each specific device. Each of these drivers tell the windows how to communicate with these devices. These drivers –when you purchase them – already comes with the software and complete guide on to install the software.
Why we need to update a driver?
Now, the problem with driver with drivers –as with any other software on your computer – is that they can contain some glitches, bugs and security holes that needs to be taken care of from time to time in order for them to work smoothly. Due to this very reason, almost all drivers comes with security updates.
Six easiest ways to update your drivers automatically:
There are several ways to update these drivers on your windows automatically and we will show you the possible easiest ways to do this.
The next one here is the most popular and will help to answer the query of how to automatically update device driver in windows 10. You can download DriverPack solution on your device and you will be able to automatically update all your devices at once. The steps we will be mentioning here are compatible will windows 10. However it will almost all of the windows.
- Go to your chrome browser and type https://driverpacksolutiononline.com/
- It will take you to the official site to download the software.
- Now tap on the very first link in the search
- If you scroll down the website page, you will find an ‘Other DriverPack Versions’. Tap on it
- Once you click on it, you will find three option appearing on your screen, please click on the ‘DriverPack Offline Full’ option among them
- It is a 25 GB file and you will needing torrent to download it
- You need to click on the download button down there
- Once it is downloaded in your computer, go to torrent
- Once torrent is opened, right-click on the File option
- Click on add torrent file option from there
- Now, locate your download folder here and you will find the DriverPack offline file here, you need to open it here
- A new popup window with option will appear no need to do anything here. Just click on OK
- Once you are done, you will see that your file is being installed on your device
After you have installed the DriverPack solution on your device, by default, it will update and install all the new driver updates on your system and you will not need to update anything manually ever again.
The top on the list is the Windows update. With windows 10, your computer should be updating your drivers periodically just as it provides you with windows updates.
- Go to the start option on your windows 10 computer
- Now, tap on the settings option from here
- From here you can go down to the Update & Security option
- On the left hand side you will find a navigation bar, you will see any windows updates available for now here. Sometimes, you can also see drivers update here
- The updates you find here will get downloaded and installed automatically, but you can speed up this process
- If you see any updates you will also find a download button
- All you need to do is click on it and the update will be done straight away
This is a good option to check on windows updates available, but if you want more information on drivers, then your go to option is the device manager.
- The Device Manager
The device manager, just like ‘Windows Updates’ is a place in your windows where you can see list of all devices available at the moment in your system and you can easily update them.
- Right Click on the start button and go to the device manager from here
- You can also find device manager from the search bar available in the start option
- Once you found it, tap on it and you will see all devices available on your system categorized in different groups; like display adapters and network adapters
- When you click on the little arrow on the right side of the available adapters option, you will see a list of you will see the manufacturer and model for each of the device
- Double click on it and you can now see the properties
- From here, if you click on the driver tab, you can see the date when this driver was released alongside its version number
- Now, you can click on the update driver option to check if there is a new version available
- In case if there is a new version available at the moment, this will update and install it for you automatically
Sometimes the device manager will tell you that got the top-notch driver available but you know that there is a newer version available. This method will definitely work for you but in case it doesn’t follow the other steps we will be mentioning below to get the latest version.
- When you are in the device properties, you can also go back to the previous version of the driver. The method is known as ‘rolling back’ the driver.
- Click the Roll Back Driver option available (you can also opt for this method when a newer version you updated is doing some problems on your device)
- A new popup window will appear asking you why you want to do this, you can choose your reason from the list and press Yes
Device Manager is the best option to see all devices installed on your device and update them automatically in windows 10.
- The Manufacturer’s Update Software:
The next one we have here is the Manufacturers’ update software utility given by your manufacturer, and it will be installed already on your computer. It depends on each device making – which comes with a utility – and it helps by letting you know when a new update is available and install it for you.
- It can be named differently according to the computer you are using.
- For example for a dell computer it says, ‘Dell Update Application’ and for a HP computer it says, HP Support Assistance’, a blue logo with a question mark on it.
- Now, if you press on the icon with a question mark here, it will open up the HP Support Assistance here
- Here you can see exactly which computer device you have and if you click on the updates option here
- If there will any updates available, you can simply click on it and it will automatically install the updates for you
This option is more reliable than the device manager, because these updates are coming directly from the manufacturer so you can get them as soon as they are out for its users.
If you have any extra hardware installed on your device like a graphics card or printer, it will come with a utility like this as we have mentioned. You can search with the name of device installed and you can easily find its utility, which will install the updates.
- Microsoft Update Catalog:
Microsoft have a website that stores all drivers that go into windows update.
- Go to the catalog.update.microsoft.com
- Once the web page is open, you will find a search bar there
- All you need to do is open search the driver you are looking for in that search bar
- Now, you will see so many results but if you look closely here, you will find that any are just repetitive entries
- What difference you need to look here is latest date the drivers are released on alongside their version numbers
- After finding the one for you, simply click download
- When you download a driver from Microsoft it will come in a .cab
- Open the file and select all files inside
- Create a new folder and paste them
- Open the device manager, and find the device on which you want to install the driver
- Now click update driver and again click browse my computer
- Now, click next and it will be installed on your device
There are many ways to install the drivers and you can choose the best one amongst the mentioned above as per your requirement.
We hope this article helped you out in answering your all questions regarding how to update device drivers in Windows 10.