Since time immemorial, umbrellas have been keeping us cool, dry, and comfortable and are used extensively to protect us from the harmful rays of the sun, especially during the summer.
Over the years, the design of umbrellas has also evolved significantly from basic single-person use to a hands-free shade provider for backyards, decks, patios, pools, and more. Thanks to these cantilever or patio umbrellas, spending time outdoors is now a lot safer and more comfortable than ever.
While the patio umbrella is the old classic one with centre pole, cantilever umbrella is a modern device that could provide you with the perfect space-saving shade solution.
But it’s not easy to choose the best cantilever umbrella in Australia. There are several options in the market including a rectangular cantilever umbrella or an octagonal umbrella. Luckily, we are here to help you learn some essential features before you buy a cantilever umbrella. Read on…
What is a cantilever umbrella?
First, we start by defining what is a cantilever umbrella. It is a large outdoor umbrella with an offset post for maximum versatility. Rather than having a centre post, they are attached to a swivel arm or side structure, allowing you to move them as you deem fit. Because they have an offset post, cantilever umbrellas give you an unobstructed view and give you the freedom to move about unhindered.
Cantilever or patio umbrellas are available in different styles and patterns and you can choose them according to your preference. For example, you can opt for a square, octagonal, hexagonal or rectangular cantilever umbrella. You can also choose different materials for your umbrella.
Fabric: The most popular options when it comes to choosing the fabric for your canopy are:
- Acrylic: One of the most commonly-used umbrella fabrics, acrylic is resistant to weather elements like sun, wind, and rain and can be used all year around. It offers you 95% protection from the UV rays and is waterproof.
- Polyester: It has almost similar traits to acrylic. The fabric is also resilient and adaptable.
- Olefin: Olefin is an eco-friendly outdoor fabric that is resilient. It offers a high degree of UV protection and is long-lasting.
- PVC Vinyl: It is a material made for tough Australian weather conditions. The fabric repels UV rays and heat and is good for long-term use.
- Spanish recasens: A high-quality Spanish acrylic, the fabric is durable, long-lasting and available in bold colours.
- Italian Para Tempotest: Tempotest is Italian-made as the name suggests. It is a top-quality fabric in acrylic and is known for its durability.
Options for frames: It is not only the fabric of the canopy that is important but you must also choose the right frames for the Patio umbrellas to last long.
- Aluminium: Aluminium is an ideal option for an umbrella frame. The metal is malleable, lightweight, durable and lends a modern vibe to your outdoor space. The frames are strong and corrosion-resistant. They don’t break easily in high winds, which makes the umbrellas durable.
- Fiberglass: Fiberglass frames are a good choice because they are wind-resistant. One of the most durable frames, it is lightweight and corrosion-resistant.
- Steel: Stainless steel is a corrosion-resistant and strong material.
Can you service an umbrella?
Choosing the right material for your umbrella isn’t enough. You need to make sure that you maintain them properly. However, we have seen that umbrellas still suffer damage irrespective of the way we maintain them. So while you need umbrellas that would look great in your backyard, poolside, hotel, café, or restaurant, you also need a solution that the umbrellas could be serviced throughout their lifetime. This not only makes them durable but also gives you a long return on your investment.
With the weather in Australia fickle, chances are your umbrellas could suffer a lot of wear and tear. So you must look for options in umbrellas that can be serviced when need be.
Can you customize an umbrella?
If you’re buying a cantilever umbrella for your commercial enterprise, you might need to design it with your unique brand logo and pattern. These days, most manufacturers offer you options to customize umbrellas. Still, it is always better to be safe than sorry and check for customisable options before buying the product.
How much coverage will the umbrella provide?
We don’t need to tell you separately that a large rectangular cantilever umbrella or an octagonal umbrella will provide you with more shade. It means that these are the best shade solutions when a large group of family members or groups of friends or office colleagues get together for a party.
But we thought we should suggest you an important factor as to how you can ascertain the size of an umbrella for your outdoor space. An ideal way of doing it is determining the space that you have either in your backyard or patio or poolside. A lot of manufacturers give discounts on large or small cantilever umbrellas in Australia and you might be tempted by the reduced price. But always choose an umbrella that fits your outdoor space.
Most cantilever umbrellas have wind-resistant and corrosion-resistant features these days. UV protection is another crucial factor that you must consider before purchasing the product. But if you still come across umbrellas that don’t have either of these, move on to your next option. However, if you pay close attention to all the above-mentioned details, we are certain that you can buy the best cantilever umbrellas in Australia.