To sign up for our daily email newsletter, CLICK HERE
The on-demand economy is changing the way business is done, and it is growing in popularity with every year. Part of this has to do with the increase in smartphone ownership. According the Pew Research Center, 77% of Americans now own smartphones.
While smartphone ownership has increased the number of people who can potentially access the on-demand economy, there are other factors that have helped to grow the popularity of these apps. Consumers recognize the convenience that comes with being able to instantly access products and services. Additionally, on-demand apps make products and services more accessible to a wider range of consumers. In order to create an on-demand app, it is recommended that you work with expert iPhone app developers.
The On-Demand Economy is Growing Fast
There was a time when many considered on-demand apps to be nothing more than a passing fad. However, this argument is no longer tenable. The on-demand economy grows with every year, and we are seeing on-demand apps being developed in an ever-increasing variety of industries.
According to the National Technology Readiness Survey, consumer spending in the on-demand economy went from $48 billion in 2016 to $75.7 billion in 2017. That is close 58% growth in one year. The survey also showed incredible growth in a range of on-demand industries. Based on the numbers from the study, the markets for on-demand services in transportation, housing, and food delivery all more than doubled in that time.
A Look at On-Demand Services
Consumers now have access to wide range of on-demand services and products. The following are a few of the industries where on-demand apps are making their presence felt.
- Transportation: You can’t talk about the on-demand economy without mentioning ridesharing apps like Uber and Lyft. With services like these, consumers can order a ride at any time, no matter where they are. For better or worse, this has had a significant impact on the transportation industry.
- Food Delivery: Consumers now have a wide range of on-demand food delivery services. If you don’t have the time to go to the market, you can order groceries on your phone and have them delivered right to your door. Along with that, there are also services that will go to your favorite restaurants to pick up meals and deliver the food to your house.
- Gifts: There are even services that can make gift giving easier. Along with on-demand apps for ordering flowers to be delivered, there are also services that will pick up and deliver presents of all sorts.
- Auto Service: Car trouble can be solved easily with apps that connect consumers to mechanics that will come to their location. This can be good for when you can’t get your car to an auto shop and it can also work when you have a breakdown or flat tire and need roadside assistance.
- Laundry Service: Getting your laundry cleaned is easy with on-demand laundry apps. With these apps, you can have someone pick your laundry up who will take it to the cleaners and return your items when the laundry is ready.
- Babysitting: You can even find apps that will help you find a babysitter. If you are planning a night out and need someone to watch the kids, these services will connect you with sitters that have all been vetted by the on-demand service.
- Healthcare: On-demand apps are even making healthcare more accessible and more convenient. You have apps that can put you in contact with a real doctor at any time, and there are even services that allow you to arrange for a healthcare professional to come to your home.
It’s clear that on-demand apps have a wide range of applications across many major industries. As traditional companies become more and more open to the technology, customer interactions will become even more convenient and rapid.