To sign up for our daily email newsletter, CLICK HERE
If you’re looking for a city that has it all – sun, sea, sand, mountains, mouth-watering food, rich culture and history, and friendly locals who welcome you with open arms – then Durban is for you. This vibrant coastal gem stole my heart from the moment I stepped foot on its golden beaches. Durban is a must-visit destination that will leave an indelible mark on your heart forever.
What makes Durban so special?
Durban is a city like no other. Nestled on the east coast of South Africa, it is a melting pot of cultures, religions and races. It is a city that is full of life, from the early morning surf on the waves to the late night hustle and bustle of nightclubs.
What makes Durban so special is its people. They are friendly, welcoming and always up for a good time. Durban has a relaxed atmosphere that is contagious and will have you feeling at ease in no time.
The city is also home to some of the best beaches in the world. The water is warm, the beaches are golden, and whether you want to jump in and enjoy the waves or stroll along the promenade with a soft serve, the vibe is chilled and friendly.
If you’re looking for a city that has a great work and play balance, Durban will fit the bill. Here you can grow your career and actually get to enjoy your personal time.
My personal experiences in Durban
I moved to Durban for work a few years ago, and I have to say that it was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. The city has an incredible energy and vibrancy that is unlike anywhere else I’ve ever been. From the moment I arrived, I felt like I belonged here.
There is a lot to do in Durban – you can start exploring the beautiful beaches and go on to hiking around The Valley of a Thousand Hills. And the food! Oh, the food. Durban has some of the best Indian food I’ve ever had. And if it is not spicy food you enjoy, there is a great variety of other international food.
But what really stole my heart about Durban was the people. Taking in a rugby game in the “Shark Tank” is a real experience with people who just want to be out for a good time, enjoying a good laugh and meeting new people. The city has a truly diverse population and everyone seems to get along so well. There is a real sense of community here, and I feel fortunate to have found such a great place.
And Durban weather is amazing. Warm weather all year round, with an average temperature of 26℃. It does get humid but it is still an awesome place to enjoy outdoor activities.
Making the Move
Fortunately, the work/play balance is drawing people to Durban, and finding jobs in Durban has become a lot easier for people who have the necessary skill set. The critical skills shortage list for jobs in South Africa is pulling in top executives to fill in much needed positions. Here are just a few positions being sourced by recruiters:
- Software Development;
- Technical / Business Architecture;
- Database Design / Development / Administration;
- Systems Analysis;
- Data Analysis / Data Warehousing; and
- Business Analysis.
- External Auditing;
- Actuarial Management
- Financial Analysis; and
- Cost & Management Accounting.
Attractions in Durban
Here are some of the best places to enjoy in Durban:
- The Golden Mile: A stretch of beach that runs along the city’s coastline. It is home to many fine hotels and restaurants. Swimming, fishing, surfing, kite surfing, paddleboarding, rollerblading and windsurfing are a few of the things to enjoy. If you are not into energetic pursuits, a walk along the promenade with an ice cream also works well.
- uShaka Marine World: This world-class aquarium is a must-see. uShaka Marine World features over 30 tanks containing a variety of marine life, including sharks, rays, and penguins. There is also a water park on-site with slides and pools for the whole family to enjoy.
- Point Waterfront: Seafood, yachts and great entertainment. A nautical experience that will keep you entertained for hours.
- Florida Road: Restaurants and bars to keep you entertained from early morning till the next early morning. International tastes from around the world keep you busy any day of the week. Or just enjoy a coffee while sifting through an eclectic bookstore.
- Suncoast Casino and Entertainment World: This casino and entertainment complex is one of Durban’s most popular entertainment destinations.
- Visit the Durban Botanic Gardens: A beautiful green space in the center of town that holds music events while you enjoy a picnic.
- Explore the Victoria Street Market: The Victoria Street Market is one of the largest markets in Durban with a wide variety of goods, including fresh produce, spices, clothes, and souvenirs.
- Go on a safari at many of the game reserves around Durban. Tala Game Reserve, Thula Thula, Hluhluwe, Imfolozi, Bonomanzi, Falaza Game Reserves and Thanda Private Reserve, just to name a few.
From the breathtaking views of the Indian Ocean to its vibrant culture and friendly people, it is easy to see why Durban stole my heart. I highly recommend anyone looking for a unique experience to visit this city and discover all that it has to offer. Whether you are looking for a relaxing beach vacation or a career boost, Durban will not disappoint.