To sign up for our daily email newsletter, CLICK HERE
Are you looking to learn how to use the Google Cloud Platform? Among the available competitive cloud service providers in the market, Google Cloud Platform has gained its importance for its unique features, services, and functionalities. By the end of this article, you will understand how the Google Cloud platform works and how to use it. If you would like to go deeper into the subject, it is recommended to undergo Google Cloud Training and get trained and certified in it
Before we jump into a deeper picture, we would like to give you a bit of knowledge on the Google Cloud Platform. Let’s get started!
What is Google Cloud Platform?
As the name suggests, Google Cloud Platform is a combination of different products and services offered by Google, allowing users to build the applications by using infrastructure and Google software. Google Cloud Platform, shortly called GCP, is a composition of products and solutions that will help you in resolving complex business challenges.
GCP is responsible for performing different services and functionalities that include storing massive amounts of structured and unstructured data, data backup, development of applications, server management, etc. In simple terms, Google Cloud Platform provides esteemed services capable of running on the same infrastructure that Google uses for its end-user products.
Most organizations now utilize data centers to manage different services and functionalities because of the advanced controls and cost management. But, the data centers lack some of the necessary features that are missing, and GCP includes those as well. Let us discuss the elements that made GCP a fully featured platform.
- Security: The Google Cloud Platform includes multi-level security responsible for protecting the resources like network, assets, operating system components, etc.
- Capacity: The Google Cloud Platform can provide all the required resources, also helping deliver optimal performance.
- Network Infrastructure: The GCP includes different components like logistical, physical, and human-resource-related components that further include firewalls, routers, wirings, load balancers, etc.
- Support and facilities: GCP includes the other components that come under the infrastructure, like power resources and physical equipment. It also includes professionals who are trained and skilled in providing instant support.
Google Cloud Platform Services:
There is a continuous expansion of the Google Cloud Platform around the globe because of the unique services and features offered by Google. Below is the list of services provided by Google Cloud Platform.
- Networking: Cloud Load Balancing, Content delivery network, Virtual Private Network.
- Storage: Cloud SQL, Google Cloud Storage, Cloud Bigtable
- Compute: Compute Engine, Google App Engine, Kubernetes Engine
- Security and Identity Management: Cloud IAM, Cloud data loss prevention API.
- Internet of Things (IoT): Cloud IoT Edge, Cloud IoT Core
- Management Tools: Google Cloud Console App, Google Stackdriver
- Big Data: Google Cloud Datastore, BigQuery, Google Cloud Dataproc.
- Cloud AI: Cloud AutoML, Cloud Machine Learning Engine
How To Use Google Cloud Platform?
To start using Google Cloud Platform, you need to create a free tier account and then create a project, followed by creating an instance. We will provide you with the step by step procedures that will help you understand and learn clearly.
Creation of a Free Tier Account on Google Cloud Platform:
The primary step is to create a free tier account on the Google Cloud Platform. The free version will provide you with a $300 credit limit that the user can use until 90 days from creating the free account. So, using the free version, you can enjoy the core services of the Google cloud platform for free for the next 90 days, which is a fantastic thing.
To begin with, the user has to provide the credit card details to validate if it is a human request. Some of us are scared to update the credit card details assuming that the amount will automatically debit after the trial period ends. That does not happen here. The amount will get debited if you change the account status from free to paid manually from your end.
Below are the steps to be followed to create a free tier account on GPC.
Step-1: Copy the link: https://cloud.google.com/gcp/ in the Google search bar. It will navigate you to the required page.
Step-2: On the top right corner of the page, you will see an option called “ Get started for Free”. Click on the option as depicted in the image below.
Step-3: The next step is to create a gmail account. If you already have an existing account, you can also use the same. The below image shows the creation of a new gmail account.
Step-4: After the creation of the account, the below page will appear on the screen.
Select the country, agree to the terms and conditions and click on the Continue button.
Step-5: In this step, you will need to enter the required information like your details, credit card details, etc. After entering all the information on the page, you need to click on the “Start my free trial” option at the bottom of the page.
Step-6: Then you will receive a popup wherein Google will ask you for a confirmation to use the provided credit card to check if the information provided is correct. It will also ask for a small deduction which will be refunded back. You need to click on the continue button to proceed further.
Below is the image that shows the message that asks for confirmation.
Step-7: The next step is to click on the “Go to console” button. Below is the primary page that shows up.
Once you click on the Go to Console button, you will be redirected to a dashboard page that shows different services being offered by Google Cloud Platform. It also provides details on the projects and insights. The below image represents the summary of the services.
Creation of a VM instance:
Now that you are logged in to the gmail account and have the google cloud platform, it will be easy for you to create a VM instance.
Step-1: Below is the console page that is used to begin the creation of a VM instance.
Step-2: Once the page is opened, you will see a drop-down option on the top-left corner which has a default project added to it. Click on the project to find the different options available. The below image shows you the project drop-down option.
Step-3: The next screen will help you in searching and selecting the project that you are working for. You can type in the search bar and search for the projects. If you would like to create a new project instead of using the default project, then you will need to set up the billing option for the first time.
Step-4: Once the project is selected, you need to navigate to the Compute engine option which is available on the left corner of the page.
Step-5: The next step is to create an instance. You will see a create instance option on the top bar. The below image shows the create instance option on the page.
Step-6: The next step is to fill in all the requested information. You are also allowed to customize your instance depending on the requirement. There will be a difference in the costs based on the memory and location that you select.
Step-7: The final step is to update all the information and click on the create button.
Step-8: You are all set now. You can use the instance that you created.
Advantages of Google Cloud Platform:
Most users around the globe now use the Google Cloud Platform. Hence, there is an exponential increase in the demand for the Google Cloud Platform. It has come up with advantages that make it different from the other available competitors in the market. Let us discuss the benefits so that you would get more understanding of the Google cloud platform.
- Reliability and greater uptime: Multiple resources are being used by Google to maintain reliable and up-time servers. If there are any technical issues that arise in the data center, then Google is capable of communicating with the secondary center automatically.
- Control over the data: The users are provided with control over all the different services. Even if the user would like to stop using the Google services, then the user can easily delete the account without any complexities.
- Accessible everywhere: Using Google Cloud, the user is able to access the data or information from anywhere around the globe with stable internet.
- Easy and quick collaboration: In the Google Cloud Platform, the data is stored on the cloud servers, rather than using personal computers or laptops. The cloud data will help in allowing multiple users to access the required data and contribute with the teams.
- Less Disruption with new feature adoption: Google will be providing smaller updates on a weekly basis. Minimal updates will help in understanding and adopting new features.
- Robustness and Security: Google team will ensure that they hire professionals to protect the user data. All the data will be protected by the users efficiently.
I hope the above information is helpful to you. We are concluding this article with the advantages. If you would like to go deeper into the subject, it is recommended to check out Mindmajix’s Google Cloud Training. And if you want us to add more topics, please comment in the below section. We will get back to you with a new topic on the Google Cloud Platform.
I’m Sudheer Patel, an enthusiastic Digital Marketer and content writer working at Mindmajix.com. I wrote articles on trending IT-related topics such as Artificial intelligence, Looker Training, Bussiness Tools, and Softwares. You can reach me here: Digital Sudheer.